So, why can’t I sell to everyone?
I help businesses rebuild their messages so they can sell more to the right people and avoid the wrong ones.
I’m a copywriter and I’ve been a translator. I deal in ideas. I love talking to business owners about their hopes and aspirations and turning them into stories.
Because stories sell. They’ve always sold. And always will.
Many years ago, when I started this business lark, I took work from anyone prepared to offer it.
I was living in France, unemployed and thoroughly sick of frozen burgers. Yes, they have them there too.
I wrote translation agencies. Even though, apart from speaking two languages, I was unqualified.
Some wrote back to give me work. I became a good translator. I learned to write.
I attracted good clients and some bad ones that were nice enough but would drop me overnight if they found someone cheaper.
But that was more than 20 years ago. I may look older but my mind hasn’t made 40 yet.
Eventually, I tired of translating other people’s bad French and started helping businesses improve their message and using it to sell more. Convince more. Persuade more.
Every copywriter says they love words. Take them with a pinch of salt. I love words for what they do. They communicate, they convince and in some cases, they inspire.
12 things about me.
- Previously, I worked in travel and business information before starting as a translator and copywriter 20-odd years ago. I was a dogsbody in a market research company and I had paper rounds in the 1970s.
- In fact, my first job was a milk round at the age of 13. In an age when you could still see milk floats driving around and you could still employ a 13-year old.
- I lived in France for 20 years in all and went native. I pass for French in France.
- I gained a love for French cinema, steak tartare and the Breton coastline from the experience.
- I’m originally a London boy, but through a long and romantic sequence of events, I came to rest in Somerset. I’ll tell you about them if we work together.
- I didn’t pass my driving test until I was 37 and learned in a left-hand drive car.
- I have an unhealthy interest in seventeenth-century millenarians, experimental and leftfield music.
- I’m a fiendish devil’s advocate but will see opportunities in your business that you won’t because you’re too close to it.
- I’m learning Spanish and I’ve got 750 days and counting on Duolingo.
- I make a mean onion tart (that used to surprise the French!).
- Occasionally, I sell birdseed. Wholesale.
- I’ve also got a degree in History and French.
Let’s get started with who you’d love to be your customer. Say goodbye to nightmare clients.
Get a free 6-day email challenge here. That’s one email a day for 6 days to help you work out who you’d like to target. It’s the starting point of a better business.